Dr Sheftall's Movie Thread

That’s gotta be Ocean’s 11…? Were you on the slots or something?!

Doc,

It sounds as though (from earlier posts) you already have a screenplay in the works for this project - is that correct? You also mentioned that the film will cover your earlier MIT years. If that’s the case, there will need to be 2 Reid Sheftalls (a younger one and a middle aged one) - whom do you have in mind for the younger (non golfer) Reid? I would have thought that your younger years could be handled using “flashbacks”. Since the book covers so many years and so many varying locations - what is the timeline you have in mind for the film? Would it be, say the last 10 years or so of your life (mostly in Cambodia)? That’s why I mentioned the flashbacks technique earlier. Most of the “good playing” actors mentioned (Wagner, Baldwin, etc.) are - at least - in their late forties - making it difficult (believable) for them to be playing someone much younger. That’s why I mentioned that the film would primarily cover the past 10 years of your life.

Dr Sheftall…

I agree with you 100% regarding having a real golfer to play your movie. It is always a turn-off for me to watch the AT&T Pro-Am, with it’s famous actors who play like hackers…and you are right, there is a big difference even when it is an actor that supposedly is a good golfer.

Good luck with the movie. I look forward to it.

Cypress: Its going to be a year in duration- that’s all. Starting when I began playing again after 27 years away from it , then with McCumber and Azinger at the TPC a few months later to Monday qualifying, to Q school. Between these events will be some flashbacks to MIT and Las Vegas. Then the Golf Channel Interview and a few things associated with that and finally the ending. That’s it- just a year and a little bit added on at the end. Honestly, after that not much happened that was very noteworthy. I won only one pro tournament in five years and I am very mediocre. My tour ave last year was 72.1.
I’ve written pieces of the screenplay. That’s the easy part.

In Hogan’s bio pic movie “Follow the Sun”, Hogan of course didn’t want to act, but he insisted upon actually playing the live golf shots himself.
They shot those scenes, not at Riviera where everyone thought it was, but at Palos Verdes CC where I grew up, which not so coincidently looks a lot like Riviera CC because they did share the same architect (George C. Thomas)

thought I’d post to let you know I’ve been in touch with Reid and have received a signed copy of his book. Just started it last night and it is certainly an entertaining read in the first few chapters alone.

Looking forward to reading it all but he is certainly an interesting character and we had a few exchanges via email and he seems a really nice guy.