Curtis Strange hitter or swinger in prime?

@lagpressure Would you say CS fits a hitters release? Im not seeing the throw until after the ball is gone. Bent right arm at impact tells me hes working core. Agree or disagree? Thx

1 Like

This is a hitter’s release…
Flat entry, hands working around post impact with clubface square to his shoulder rotation… level shoulders working through…

This is a excellent golf swing…

3 Likes

Wow. He literally has no pivot

I often wonder what is an acceptable pivot? Is it wide open like Snead and Hogan. Or is this example adequate ?

@lagpressure Just got back from the range today 8/17/2022 I took some film of myself and about puked how far outside I was taking the club then looping back inside and not able to release.

This video is trying to bring it more inside like ABS advocates. Ball striking today went from a 2 to a 10 as soon as my backswing was lower and on plane better. It still may not be ABS material but from the other video I took its a vast improvement!

I have worked with Ballard since 1987 He loves Knudson and he also rips it inside but not with just hands. Thought’s ?

1 Like

Great swing young man. You even look like Rocco Mediate

1 Like

@Slinger72 I didnt know 60 years old was young! I’ll take it , lol

I’d say he has a pretty decent torso rotation. Keeps the clubface from rolling over until almost P4 - a lot like Greg Norman. The club really never outruns the hands until very late in his follow-through. There is a little hip stall just after impact. I’m not one to criticize a 2-time US Open winner, especially from that era.

I thought if the hands don’t disappear after impact it’s a swinger’s release ala Phil Mickelson. To me, it looks a little “blocked” just before impact because torso gets a little stalled and the arms and hands “sling” it down the line. The toe of the club is pointed up before P4. If the hands were still leveraging the clubhead at this angle - the hands would be hidden behind the body.

One thing worth noting, however, is Curtis Strange’s swing does have a bit of Byron Nelson vibes.
Byron’s little knee dip (I think) is what allowed him to leverage left with the pivot AND still “sling” release it at the target. My belief is that if Moe Norman took a conventional setup - his swing would have Nelson’s follow-through.

I think people have more or less degrees of pivot thrust and therefore more or less ‘left release’ appearance. To me it’s better to have a more released look due to slower rotation or physical limitation, but ‘doing the right work’ through and beyond the strike, than a faked left look; that only captures the cosmetics and not the dynamics.

George Knudson for example has a more released ‘look’ with his hands and arms at the same point post impact than say, Ben Hogan does; but IMO he has the essence of his dynamics where it matters most.

Especially with the modern driver on a high tee and possibly with iron shots too if you are interested in a swing that doesn’t have too different paths and arcs and feels of those paths and arcs between driver and irons.

To get a low left ‘look’ with modern driver I think means you must have manipulated the club a bit and missed the essential dynamics. Should appear a bit ‘slung’ after about first parallel post impact.

May also depend on camera angle, type of shot and feel that day.

His was the golf swing I modeled my own on when I first started playing, not knowing anything about anything, other than I watched him win back to back US Opens for my first golf TV experience.

I ‘felt’ like I needed to fight a sway in the backswing most of my career as a result, but I can definitely see the value in that sway in hindsight.

Interestingly, it was also a light bulb golf swing in latter life, one that made me really dig into hand action in transition.

All in all, a brilliant golf swing.

1 Like

I guess he can look at his trophy’s on the shelf. Versus slow motion non stop video of his hips or others

I take the trophy’s

Body is complex, pivots are individual imho. Ive had 4 back surgeries, i dont pivot at all…because i cant.

If you’re pressuring the shaft, and understand how to aim…i personally think its better the pivot goes after the strike.

1 Like