"Covering The Ball"

As an aside, my swing kind of looks like Dana Quigley’s, Allan Doyle’s or even Charlie Sifford’s. Perhaps I need stronger forearms to swing that way. My core strength is good though and I can lengthen things and sort of look like Rickie Fowler in transition–kind of laid off. Sometimes the hands could be so low in transition that it’s impossible to come over the top even if that’s how you’re actually powering the swing. It steepens it without the club ever going outside the line. Getting the club in front of me is often the problem.

Hey flat, good name. Glad you posted, and welcome. Some of the things you wrote were similar thoughts I had before learning more about ABS. Of what you were speaking Lag teaches in the first four drills, can’t speak highly enough of the way his training was developed and taught in sequence. Agree with him in golf and baseball that legwork is not a secondary action to the upper body. Had some good players teach me baseball when I was younger, footwork was the end all be all when starting the development of a proper baseball swing. The stride movement of the forward foot initiates load, lag etc. This is why Mcquire and Sosa always wore huge baggy pants when they were juicing. Their quads, hamstrings, and glutes were bodybuilder level causing the need for two muscles you mentioned to become bodybuilder level. Not surprising they bombed.

The first drill I teach junior golfers is to start the swing at the top of the backswing with their feet together, they have to start the swing with the front foot stride or we will not hit balls. I strive for them to look like a baseball swinger dropping the bat behind them in this drill, and takes OTT out from lesson 1. Then I show them module 1 and the lightbulb goes on. Juniors do not like mechanics and reasons for what they do, they like feels. Players get caught up in why the result happens instead of the result. You do not need to know how a muscle grows to grow it, it will grow if you workout and know nothing of the reasons for it. Lift weight, get big. Rep modules, get good. Lag and Two took care of the rest.