Course Rankings / Top 100 Courses etc

Can’t believe I forgot The Island! :blush: Great golf course! It used to be the working man’s Portmarnock back in the day, but it eventually got found out as a great track- it’s pretty close to the airport for those inclined to take day trips- Arnie, I’m looking at you :wink: The green fees went through the roof during the boom days, but I imagine they’re working their way down at this point.
Yeah, the back 9 at Ballybunion is spectacular- I’ve played it in the middle or winter and the middle of summer, and it’s great both ways. Feels like you’re in a special place playing some of those holes along the water. I’ve nailed driver short on 15 and I’ve hit 9 iron over the back - fantastic! Makes me laugh just thinking about it. I’ve actually never played Waterville believe it or not.
Two, I’m not sure that it was purely money with Portmarnock and the Open, but it would definitely have been the case with the Ryder Cup and The K Club. When it left Portmarnock originally it went to Killarney for a few years, and I think Faldo won it few times there- I think I remember a playoff with him and Wayne Westner, or at least it was close between them… I’m sure you’ve played with Westner, he could strike the golf ball. It was around that time when the money started to come into the country and courses like Mount Juliet and Druids popped up. It went to Mount Juliet and then to Druids I’m pretty sure in that order. It’s at Baltray now which is great, though they lost the sponsor this year and apparently Harrington is coming in on some level to maybe host it- I’m not up to speed on the current details of that deal, but he’s such a stand up guy, that I wasn’t surprised to hear him thinking along those lines.

I heard the members didn’t like the amount of golf they had to give up during the preparation for and holding of the tournament.

The pros went to Ballybunion a few years ago and ripped it apart but as the locals said, the pros got the flattest calmest 4 days that had been seen in the area for 100 years or more! One of the greatest defenders of all links tracks is the elements and if they are absent then it really doesn’t matter where you are at, a good player will take the links apart.

I think everyone would like to see the Irish Open at a links course in the Dublin area. The European would be a great place to hold it and I’m sure Pat Ruddy would open his facilities to the best in the world - especially if the top names were coming and the Irish Open formed part of a ‘links swing’ with The Open and Scottish Open (which has been confirmed as being played at Castle Stuart this year)

scan0040.jpgscan0041.jpgscan0042.jpgscan0043.jpgscan0044.jpgscan0045.jpgscan0050.jpgscan0051.jpg

Thanks for that Hugo, nice to see so many familiar places.

Even nicer to see my home course Balmoral getting a mention!

And believe it or not, I grew up with Paula Gorman who is mentione din the article. She was a great junior golfer but didn’t enjoy her time at university in America and more or less stopped playing. I hear she is back on the links these days.

Wow! Thanks for those, man… I can smell the see air…
Cheers…