Chipping/Short pitching revisited

Oh boy, dont want to cause any wife trouble - so instead of hot 18y old chipping - you get ME :smiley:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOFAgPoYaU[/youtube]

That looks pretty good.
You can play around with ball position and sternum position (forward/level/behind the ball) and watch the different trajectory you get with each position.
I like the sternum to be forward on the majority of these shots ā€¦it helps use the bounce and get the crisp downward strike and through. The sternum, ball position can be altered around for flop shots, shots from bermuda rough or thick rough etc.
With your action I think you will have fun trying different clubs and positions to see how they react and then you load up your arsenal of shots and decide accordingly when you are out playing on the course.

I think it is important to have the butt of the club pointing somewhere near your belly button, so you just move your weight around but keep the butt pointing at that spotā€¦or a hair forward lean if anything.
Mickelson does these shots well also with an even more abbreviated follow through- to show an aggressive strike through the ball.
Having the face pointing at the target and your stance open keeps the face open slightly to utilize the bounce of the club.

I think your action looks goodā€¦ technique helps, but confidence in what you are doing helps just as much. The key is to have the ball react according to the shot you are trying to hit, so if you have that type of distance control where you can hit your landing spot reasonably well and not have the ball spin and stop too much or run on too much according to what your minds eye sees the shotā€¦then you are chipping well

I just wanted to share something I found watching Mr. Hogan.
Most of you probably already know about it but for those who donā€™t:

The technique he uses here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LM7h5hXIY&t=3m51s is great for short chips when torso rotation in the backswing is overkill.

The wrists go from address position to impact position and stay there. ( The right wrist sets.)
Very efficient as this move also takes the club back and all you need to do is open the body to go thru the ball. Very Hogan :stuck_out_tongue:

It can be seen below at 3:51.
[youtube]Ben Hogan - Attack of the Hawk - YouTube

This reminded me of a document I have. It is supposed to be a letter from Mr.Hogan. Here comes some of it.

[quote]
A few years ago a folder of copies of letters came to me from a friend who knew a friend of Ben Hogan. Apparently, this gentleman lived in Cape George Colony near Port Townsend and obviously was close to Mr. Hogan. Mr. Hogan wrote his friend some advice on the golf swing, and not wanting to lose his words, I thought Iā€™d transcribe them to my web site.

The Hogan Letters: Written by Ben Hogan 7-20-78

As to your inquiry about chipping I havenā€™t explained it to you because youā€™ve never asked and I thought perhaps you had no problems with them. The best method that I have ever used was explained to me and demonstrated by Bobby Jones many years ago when I was a neophyte golfer. It has proven to be invaluable in salvaging pars from fifty yards into the green, and I have yet to find a better method. With a little practice it will give you accuracy and you can hit it to the pin with assurance that you will have an excellent chance for a one putt and a par.

Snead stole it from me when we were playing together in the Tam Oā€™Shanter in Chicago and the rascal went on to win the tournament. Snead is very observant of other golfers unique or special shots and watched me knock one up to within four feet on the second hole from twenty-yards. The ball floated up hitting about 10-feet and rolled like a putt right at the cup. He didnā€™t say anything but on the sixth hole, a 540 yard par 5, he was about 25 yards from the green and he pitched one up using my technique and almost holed out, but had only a two-foot putt for a birdie. ā€œYou see,ā€ he said, ā€œus mountain boys learn fast, and are not as dumb as you think.ā€ Since then I have revealed it to Trevino and of course Dickinson. It has salvaged a list of pars for them.

The basic idea (and now we get down to brass tacks) is to take a normal square stance (not open or closed) and a good grip (Vā€™s of left and right hand pointing midway between chin and right shoulder with the club face square to the line (be sure to not open or close the club face), then take the club back turning the hands clockwise 90-degrees bending the right elbow which folds as the hands move up in a short arc all the while keeping the upper part of the right arm in the same position as it was at address (in other words the upper part of the right arm does not change position in relation to the body). Very little movement of the legs is involved if any (keep knees flexed and limber). Keep your eye on the ball and swing the club head down to the ball. The hands will automatically revert to the position at address and will move the head of the club head (a nice delayed clipping action).

The ball should be struck crisply and a nice divot taken, which will be in line with the flight of the ball. The firmer the ball is hit the higher the arc it will take with less run as it hits. The shorter the hit the more run involved but the ball will settle down and run as a putt. It is simply a matter of practice, but one can be very bold with this technique because it minimized the amount of roll to a far greater extent than chipping with a seven or eight iron. Jan salvaged 5 pars with it and shot ? in the grocery tournament and was eight strokes up on second place. If she keeps it up they will ban her so she has to lose a couple.

See you soon sincerely

Ben Hogan/quote]

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Amen Corner, what he describes seems to be what heā€™s doing in the youtube vid. Itā€™s a very simple and reliable way of chipping IMO and Iā€™m surprised that not more people know about it.

Bradley,

I have Michelsonā€™s short game video. He says all good short game players use a ā€œhinge and hold method.ā€ He said they might call it something else but it is a quick set of the wrists (arms donā€™t travel but the club head does alot) and then no flip or in other words, the club head never gets in front of the hands.

It looks like Mr. Hogan is doing the same thing. Is that what you mean by, ā€œthe wrists go from address position to impact position and stay there. (The right wrist sets)?ā€

Today I was working on a flat entry while pitching and chipping. A mini ABS swingā€¦around the body and pivot driven. I have always had a tendency to lay the sod over a chip and/or pitch. With the mini ABS swing I am hitting very solid shots with little to no fear of a chunker. I know Mr. Hogan said a pitch or chip is nothing more than a short full swing (paraphrase).

What do you think?

Amen Corner,

Thanks for sharing Mr. Hoganā€™s letter. How valuable!!

littlealm,

You talk about Hinging, which in my book is the move you make when you use a hammer accompanied by the turning of the forearms. This is ā€˜standardā€™ chipping/pitching technique, as explained by lefty in his dvd.

I think all Hogan is doing is this:
1.jpg2.jpg
To me it looks more like a bowing of the left wrist (together with a set of the right wrist). There is very little pronation or turning going onā€¦
Once you have taken the club back (second picture), you can either hold the set of the wrists and pivot through the ball, or you can reverse the wrist-move you made in the backswing, also initiated by the opening of the upper body.

I think Hogan is doing the latter in this video, I have slowed it down so itā€™s easier to digest:
[youtube]Ben Hogan's Chipping Technique - YouTube

Iron,

Great job. Very helpful slowing down the video and showing your hand/hinge move.

Question: Isnā€™t Mr. Hogan referring to pronating when he talks about turning the hands 90 degrees? I am trying to connect the hinge move you are showing and Mr. Hoganā€™s statement.

Thanks

My apologies to Bradley and Iron.

For some reason I addressed this question to Bradley when it was Ironā€™s post and comment.

No problem littlealm,

Iā€™m also not so sure the letter in question is really written by Ben Hogan himself.
I did some googling and it seems that the guys over on the golfwrx forum think that itā€™s a scamā€¦ http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/152097-lost-hogan-letter/

cheers, IoZ

That would certainly make a difference. Thanks

While Youtubing i stumbled across THIS :open_mouth: :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24PLNbzXVU[/youtube]

He was considered solid with his short game right? Did he always chip that bent over? Anybody has an idea whatĀ“s the reason for it?

Seve did get down to the ball quite often when he chipped.

You can see him gripping right down at the steel at the end of the grip.

This shot from back left of the 18th at Royal Lytham was not a straight forward lie. There was actually some downhill and the ball was below his feetā€¦
Itā€™s a bit hard to see that on the screen but that probably has something to do with the address he took especially for this shot

Bradley, when i use the bounce (especially near the hosel) for chipping - is this considered proper technique?

In which scenarios - aside from flops/bunker shots - would it be okay to use more of the bounce than the leading edge of a wedge?

I would think on most chips- even short ones around the green we are actually using some bounce-- just by the simple act of aiming the club at our target line and aiming our body slightly leftā€¦even by just doing such a simple thing the clubface is open to our alignment so the bounce gets presented to the ground and ball- even if ever so slightly

I just wanted to share with everyone who has similarly been struggling with their short game something that I did recently that relatively instantaneously improved the consistency of my chips and pitches. In addition to adopting some of the methods espoused here by TM, I simply started to pick a blade of grass an inch or two in front of the ball and direct my focus to moving the club to this spot on the downswing, rather than the ball. If I want a little steeper attack, I look a little further forward. Probably the major effect of this was to remove some of my attention from the ball, allowing me to interfere less with the natural motion (i.e. decreasing my ā€œball-boundednessā€). The secondary effect was that I suddenly was having a strong ā€œcompressedā€ chip, both by feel and sound. On longer wedge pitches, I was taking a consistent divot. I have been trying to see if I could incorporate this into the full swing but, at the moment, any additional attempts at manipulating the full swing are not forthcoming, given that modules 1 through 3 are still assimilating.

If you have been struggling like I have been, you may want to give this a try as it has really helped me in a dramatic fashionā€¦

HI there guys, Iā€™m sure the answer is covered somewhere else, however, when I try and look at Welshdentists videos, Iā€™m told they are private - this is also the case with many youtube offerings on here

Any advice welcome!

There is a new student chipping forum and video and I know this will be helpful to anyone having trouble with the basic shots around the greens. Iā€™ll be adding more and more content to it over time and will be answering questions there also.

https://forum.advancedballstriking.com/t/chipping-video/2214/1