Book Review George Knudson "Natural Golf Swing"

Move the front knee laterally towards the target to start the downswing ala Trevino and Moe and Knudson and maintain that knee flex instead of straightening it, the shaft will maintain and hold its flex as a result, you can’t flip it from that position.

If you go to your local sporting goods/fitness store, they sell these resistance band loops that you can put around your knees and ideally, find the heaviest one because it won’t snap from a wide stance and knee separation. It’s the best drill I’ve found on separating the knees from each other to start the downswing and maintaining that separation.

Why would you want to separate your knees on the downswing?

Because of them. (Knudson, Trevino in 1971, Ben in 1953, Snead, and Moe)

1 Like

Yeah, but what are they really doing?
Your eyes decieve you…

If you’re talking about inward feet pressure against each other, it’s possible to move the feet right and still move the legs wrong. Otherwise those players I listed earlier who move their feet like Moe would’ve been considered all-time ballstrikers but they’re not.

Trust me, I move my feet just like Moe’s back foot and Knudson’s front foot and I still don’t hit it as well as them because I’m currently moving my legs wrong. I’m not keeping the flex in my knees through the shot like Moe, the whole “ground force reaction” jumping craze where the knees straighten at impact in modern instruction has been infectious.

Hogan never straightened his right knee and Moe didn’t do it with his left. I think they both were inspired by Byron Nelson’s swing, Hogan noting how much he flexes his RIGHT knee through impact and doesn’t straighten it; Moe in his first Masters in the 50s noting his LEFT knee staying flexed in his follow through, too. Just speculation, though.

@Flushballstriker

Did you ever consider that the reason you cannot work your legs like them, is because you dont use equipment like them? Or do you play super heavy, flat, stiff classic gear?

I play Arias zero offset irons with the 4-iron set at D4.5 and progressing up through the set to D9 for SW to MOI match, this turned out to be too light so I will go a full letter heavier and see if it helps. But I do play flat and zero offset clubs.

About shaft flex, this is the only part of modern club-fitting I agree with, fitting shaft flex based on clubhead speed and overall tempo. Although even if I play S flex based on my speed and tempo, the amount of weight I have to add to my clubs will probably make them play too soft.

Nicklaus preferred S flex in his prime, as long as he was, but I don’t think he added any extra headweight. His 1-iron was reported at D3, but he probably would’ve gone up to X flex at E3.

I’m completely on your side when it comes to playing old school equipment and learning from the old school greats, no need to keep debating when we should be digging it out of the dirt, you know? :slight_smile:

For reference

1 Like