Ben Hogan WITB

Parallel tips are where the shafts will have the same diameter from the last step all the way down to the tip of the shaft. Taper tips are slightly V shaped or taper narrower down. Tapers make the shafts stiffer and the bottom and move the flex point up the shaft… so you see this more in drivers and fairway woods. It was a way to use thinner shafts and keep them a bit stiffer.

Reboring for persimmon means you remove the shaft, fill the hole with a wood dowel or plug or sawdust-glue material, then re drill the hole usually flatter in the case around these parts.

Swing weight defines a balancing point between the head and grip. Dead weight is simply the overall weight of the club if you were to simply put it on a postage scale. Dead weight is much more important because that is the weight of the club you are pulling down from the top and driving through impact and beyond. The ball will respond much more to changes in dead weight than swing weight, especially if you are swinging the golf club correctly.

No necessarily, because of camera angles and distortion from the camera lens or even your monitor. It certainly gives you an idea… you can clearly see that Hogan’s gear was set up far more flat than what we see offered in pro shops today… you don’t need special software to see that. But where a camera is positioned can change the appearance of angles quite easily.

I think we have a photo here of Hogan’s one iron from what appears to be pretty straight on, and close up… so that gives a pretty good idea of how he had his irons set up.

Hogan1iron.jpg

This is a pretty close up clear photo not likely to have much distortion. Much in the way an archeologist would surmise what the other bones looked like.

Most sets are going to be set up in 1/2 longer going up through the set. The clubs lie angle will move about 3/4 of a degree more upright as the irons get shorter. The heads get heavier as the clubs get shorter, and the shafts get stiffer to accommodate the extra weighting.

Half inch step patterns are common. 1/3 an ounce heavier per club typically as you move into shorter clubs.

So you can figure out a lot from just looking at one club…

Of course Hogan’s woods would be flatter… with the driver likely being 46 or 47 I would guess… It does look like that to me on most films.

Thanks Lag appreciate the reply you are like a frikken encyclopedia :smiley:

How would I modify my modern gear to match Hogan’s?

I am about to purchase Taylormade rac blades with project x shafts (I think the spec is 6.0) and and getting them bent 4 degrees flat.
What should I do with weight/lead tape?

Here is my current swing
youtube.com/results?search_q … 3.2.3l12l0

Look how upright as a result of my current gear
Can’t wait to have my swing look even more like Hogan’s than Knudson :smiley:

Oh and Hogan’s irons were set 3 or so degrees open? What does that mean? How can he have his clubs set open and hit it straight without flipping the club shut at the bottom?
I see Chris made a post saying he’s amazed at how shut Hogan is coming into the ball.
This seems like the reason

Flat and very aggressive post impact pivot acceleration. You square up the face with the body rotation.

From what I understand, Hogan would have bent his irons strong, then shaved off or scalped the bottom inside flange so they would then sit open and then get back to the proper loft he wanted for that club. Consistent with reports of having a 5:00 grip reminder.

I suspect his personal gear was set up totally different than anything that came out of the Hogan Factory or any other factory for that matter. You certainly don’t see irons set up that flat on the store shelves… especially today. And Nick Watney hits another 8 iron into the left bunker on tour. It’s not impressive.

study the 4th a 5th frames of each, and notice how far the shoulders have rotated in relation to hand travel.
Secret #37

That Hogan Knudson comparison is AMAZING.

What is that 5:0 grip thing youre talking about

They used to put a wire under the leather grip wrap … a little ridge you could feel when you put your hands on the club.
The theory was that it would help the player get his or her hands on the club the same way every time.

Hogan apparently had his under the shaft and rotated to about 5:00, so that when he gripped the club, the face would lay open a bit. You can see it in some of the videos out there.

Ya Lag the ballstriking is so poor these days really. Their swings are all so crap and steep I mean how poor was the field at the hyundai tournament of champions this week I LOVE WATCHING GOLF I hardly ever miss a tournament on tv and honestly it’s getting harder and harder to watch with the poor quality of ballstriking, poor swings and commentators who dish out rubbish advice and analysis(US Tour Miller etc). It’s just a chipping and putting contest now they might as well play par 3 courses

Lag, are you referencing the the words of Tom Wishon posted later in this thread?
Here you say Tom said they were scooped to sit 5 degrees open, but in his words he said he did not notice such a scoop. Also, he said the irons were at least 3-4 degrees flat, but nothing about them being 8* flat.
I am not saying they were or weren’t open and 8* flat, but I have seen two sources of Tom discussing Hogan’s clubs and never saw him say either of those things.
Anyway, sorry I scooped up a dead thread but I was doing some research

golfdigest.com/golf-tours-ne … xpect.html

bensclubs1.JPGbensclubs2.JPG

Are you going to submit a bid Bradley?

The 3-iron’s lie looks standard to me… 58?

Does anybody know what models of wedges he used during his Macgregor days and his Ben Hogan days? I have seen several pics of his iron sets, but never his woods or wedges.

There is an auction at:

https://thegolfauction.com/Ben_Hogan_s_Personal_Model_Reg__1622_Personal_Used-LOT112596.aspx

The says that this is " BEN HOGAN’S PERSONAL MODEL REG. 1622 PERSONAL USED COMPLETE 1-9 IRON SET".

The auction closes on Sunday April 9th, 2023. At the time I post this (Friday April 7th, 2023), the bid price is: $7,321.

Before the auction ends, go there to see pictures of the set. I saved copies of the pictures on my laptop.

Picture of the long irons:

Picture of the mid-irons:

Picture of the short irons (maybe not his wedges, but as close as this auction has):

The auction has these club spec’s:

This is the text of the auction following. Thought this would be of interest to all of us ABS folks!

https://thegolfauction.com/Ben_Hogan_s_Personal_Model_Reg__1622_Personal_Used-LOT112596.aspx

BEN HOGAN’S PERSONAL MODEL REG. 1622 PERSONAL USED COMPLETE 1-9 IRON SET

When a call comes in from Fort Worth, Texas you make sure to answer it. That call led to this. Remarkably residing in this lot is Ben Hogan’s very own endlessly significant full set of 9 irons, starting with Hogan’s 1-iron! This represents one of the only sets in existence that were once swung by the man known for having best swing of them all - and that was no secret. ‘The Hawk’ visibly tinkered with this set that he used prior to breaking away from MacGregor in 1953 and as early as perhaps 1948 when the set was first produced. Based off of the specific design, these are likely on the earlier end of that timeline, pre-1950. It comes with a welcomed Texas-based line of provenance that began after Ben Hogan’s handoff to his good friend Dennis Lavender, an individual that carries much weight in the industry. Ben Hogan’s sweat equity was invested in these irons. Lead tape, strike marks (photo #6) on the hosel and shaving either side of the ‘Ben Hogan’ (p. #2) on the backside of the head is present upon examination. Signs of usage include wear on the face in addition to aforementioned unique customizations of the 1-9 irons set in this lot. As the old adage goes - these are tools, not jewels. There is no serial number on the hosel of these, common of Ben Hogan’s personal Reg. 1622 models.

“I have no reason to doubt they belonged to Hogan, but I do think someone else played them after he did. My current thinking is Denny Lavender was given two sets that Hogan used to create prototypes, this one and the Jimmy Powell set. They may or may not have been copied by the craftsmen at MacGregor to make tournament clubs for him. That’s unknowable. The USGA’s found 1 iron 1622 is nearly identical to this example, but it appears to have polished chrome on the weight bar, not satin chrome like yours (this example). The shafts appear original. Ben Hogan definitely wanted to lower the center of gravity as evidenced by the lead weight being added to that location on the clubheads. This set is a wonderful discovery! I haven’t been this excited in years!” - Ben Hogan authoritative expert Jeff Martin proclaimed.

The origin story that began with Ben Hogan’s own bag, to friend and confidant Dennis Lavender’s possession before he put them on display at Cedar Crest’s newly built clubhouse where he was head professional. After being encased at Cedar Crest golf club for a handful of years, the set was acquired by C.R. Shipley. Select irons display additional wear from over 70 years of storage, please reference accompanying lot photos for this detailing. Shipley’s grandson Stephen Farnham consigned these in hopes of appreciation and preservation of the Hogan legacy for many years to come. The Golf Auction would be happy to supply additional photos of Ben Hogan’s personal 9 irons ranging from 35 3/4" - 39" upon request. A signed letter of provenance from C.R. Shipley’s grandson Stephen Farnham comes with this lot.