BEN HOGAN Quotes

Ben Hogan talking about The Skins Game

“I don’t watch that! It doesn’t appeal to me. It ISN’T golf as I know it”

when asked what he considered to be the most important shot in golf…Hogan replied

" The drive. It governs the nature of the entire hole. It tells you whether you have problems or don’t "

"[size=150]When I’m playing golf, that’s the most important thing in the world to me. It’s a pleasure for me to work. I’m no Bob Hope. I try to produce good golf shots. I’m a bad joke teller[/size]r"

[size=150]Selecting a stroke is like selecting a wife; to each his own[/size]

“The topography of the land may mean that sometimes you have to have a blind shot. But I don’t really like that. I can’t play by radar”

In response to a question as to whether golf was foremost in his mind…Hogan replied

[size=150]" It’s going to be that way until I play the kind of golf I want"[/size]

Not sure if any of you have heard this one before, but a PGA pro buddy told this story to us back in the day.

Hogan was playing an exhibition type match with this young guy. Not sure if Hogan’s opponent was a Pro on an Amateur, but he was a major gun… as the crowd was in disbelief as Hogan went about 2 or 3 down after about 6 or 7 holes they come to a long par 3. Hogan is hitting second. His opponent hits a long iron in there about 8 feet from the flag and the crowd starts to go a little crazy. Hogan steps up with either a 1 iron or 2 iron and as he makes contact with the ball and it flies off the club face, Ben looks directly at the kid and says “Your away”. Can you guess who ends up winning the match? Yep…

[size=150]" Well thank you very much. How did you do? "
[/size]
An ever focused Ben Hogan upon being congratulated by runner-up Clayton Heafner after winning the 1951 US Open

[size=150]" Your name is the most important thing you own. Don’t ever do anything to disgrace or cheapen it "
[/size]
Ben Hogan

on discussing the trend of players to wear advertisements…

“I don’t wear signs”
Ben Hogan

Taken from Al Barkow’s site. ( albarkow.com )

One descriptive Hogan used is amusing:

“To verify a correct backswing, at the top of the backswing the groin muscle on the inside of your right leg near your right nut will tighten. This subtle feel of tightness there tells you that you [can make] the correct move back to the ball.”

Iron of Zion:

Thanks for that post…I hadn’t been to his site before.

Hogans comment about “true concentric turn” regarding the hips caught my attention big time…I posted something about “concentric circles” a while back on the LTLGM thread…

Rats like concentric themes…that’s why we don’t chase our tails. Will have to check this out. :slight_smile: RR

You’re most welcome RR, there is some good stuff in that article. (if you know where to sniff :smiling_imp: )
For one it shows the con artist that Hogan could be at times…

[size=150]“If I had my game and Demaret’s personality, I’d really be something”[/size]

[size=150]“It’s up to the player to dig it out on the practice tee by himself with trial and error…You can’t do it in 5 (five) minutes; you’re lucky if you can do it in 5 (five) years… It’s a training process… Give it enough time and thought, anybody can break 80…”[/size]

[size=150]" I never played in a $100,000 tournament in my entire life. I went broke twice…and had to take odd jobs just to try again. It stops you when you can’t eat or pay your caddie "[/size]

Hogan discussing the difference on the Tour when he played and now

[size=150]“I never know why I hit the ball well. I just know when I’m doing it.”[/size] - Ben Hogan

Friend brought this to my attention…I had to post on ABS…pretty cool stuff.

cant post the pics here so you gotta go to the album…i didnt want to make them smaller so you can read them.

s875.photobucket.com/albums/ab31 … Y%20BOGAN/

[size=150]“The flatter my swing gets, the fatter my wallet gets”[/size]

[size=150]“There’s no set time or schedule for developing one’s skills as a (professional) golfer, and it certainly doesn’t just come overnight. It’s a muscle memory exercise that comes over time”[/size]