Backswings and Personal style

Making the list isnt too difficult imo. Getting off plane in some part of your swing gives you good chances and if you throw in some funky moves you are a sure winner :smiley: . BTW. of course Moe Norman made it too!
But yes its amazing what people can make work over time with (lots of) practice.

Lag, on your Youtube video (4barrel hit) what kind of backswing would you say you use according to your categorization you posted in this thread? To me it looks more like a swinger than a hitters approach (as described before?).

Love Trevino . . . got that book . . . . got some of the old NBC tapes he did . . . I look at those tapes and not 100% convinced that he did everything he prescribed in the book with regards to aiming the face etc.

This is kinda a thread jack . . . I got a black belt in that . . . . but who would you say is the best “strong left hand” player? Love Trevino . . . Duval too . . . could Duval circa 59 be a better strong grip model than Lee Buck?

Moe was the best puller I have seen… that hit it dead straight. Of course Couples and VJ with their dangling right hands at impact make a good argument for pulling for distance.

The right arm forearm rotation stuff is more an accuracy move, because it keeps the shaft moving left, not out to the right… and it gives good solid structure to embrace the forces of impact, ESPECIALLY for off center hits… even with blade irons and persimmon.

Ew . . . that’s one for the file . . . nice.

ok, I’m more on the mahaffey side of things a little flat going back and steepen coming back in, how about this backswing, won some big $$ this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=vMjQU2Xo62I

I don’t think it was the backswing that won all the money. Kuchar is a steep shouldered flipper who is just really, really good at golf, and has been for a long time. I don’t think you can look to his golf swing to find out why he’s good. Some things can’t be explained through mechanics.

I know Matt Kuchar’s swing coach, Chris O’Connell. He’s one of half a dozen teachers at senior tour player D.A. Weibring’s golf teaching/practice center in Plano (Dallas), TX. (I’m there 3-6 times a week working on my own game.)

I’ve seen Chris working with Kuchar on his swing. I’ve also seen Chris working with a number of Nationwide tour players and LPGA players…as well as some of the players that will be trying to qualify for their tour card next week. They come in from all over the country. Anyway, Chris mainly teaches the S&T method, but also works with golfers that have a traditional two-plane swing. I’ve never really talked to Chris about swinging versus hitting, TGM, etc. Chris’ current claim-to-fame is Matt Kuchar, which is understandable with Matt’s success on tour this year. His previous star tour player was Peter Jacobsen, when Chris changed Jacobsen’s traditional two-plane swing to S&T, but Peter Jacobsen doesn’t play on tour (PGA or Senior) anymore because I think he has a bad back and also had either a hip replacement or knee replacement.

Watching Chris teach the S&T movements/positions/drills is really weird. What’s funny is that all the golf instructors at the training center use a traditional two-plane swing. I think Matt Kuchar’s swing looks very strange on television and even more weird in person. There is no doubt that Kuchar is talented enough to learn most any swing method…and something just tells me he won’t always have that strong S&T swing he has now.

I’m told that a number of the S&T players on tour have given up on the S&T swing method and have gone back to their old swing method or moved on to something different. I’d love to see someone like Aaron Baddeley or Mike Weir (who have given up on S&T) start working with Lag. From what I’m learning about Lag’s ABS swing method, style…along with how (and the way) Lag communicates - I’d say it’s just a matter of time before his name becomes well known to the golfing public.

I don’t necessarily think of ABS as “as swing” or a look… but more a series of intentions. If you look at the golf swing… then break it down into parts, you can then consider intentions… What would be the best intention for any given movement?

If we look at the backswing… well, there are a few things you must actually do. You must turn the shoulders, you must cock the wrists, and you must rotate the forearms. You also must allow room for the arms to come down toward impact. Therefore, this offers us options, and some intentions are going to be better than others. The path to make this happen can vary… in, out, up, around and so forth. The best intention for the backswing is the one that repeats for you the easiest, and helps you turn, cock and rotate the forearms. There are a lot of “if this, then that” in the golf swing. This is the biggest problem I see in golf instruction. A good instructor needs to understand the “if this then that” stuff, and be able to weed out the nonsense from the necessary.

If we look at crossing over vs laid off at the top… which is the better intention? ideally I would say laid off… however, this would only be the case if the player has the strength and ability to rotate the forearms back to square onto the back of the ball. Where you are at the top is strictly dependent upon your ability to fire the hands into impact via forearm rotation and the uncocking of the wrists working in unison. Good strikers need only to be reminded, while beginners need to learn
the action.

Now if a player has weak forearms… then crossing over would be better for them in the meantime, and could work just fine also for the long haul… but they are going to have to get the shaft back on the 4:30 line… so this is either a natural flow back down, or it is a struggle for others that leads to steep, OTT or over acceleration.

The main reason I am so adamant about a student or player learning a strong forearm rotation is that this allows the player to use either method with good results. Then if they want to simplify the backswing into a very tight compact action… that should be very repeatable, then the player has this option. This is exactly the reason good players can strike the ball with all kinds of different backswings. Trick shot artists often show this capability during their range shows.

If we look at another intention… say stance width… well… if the player is good, and has a strong swing… then wider is the better intention. It provides better balance and structure, and is also historically supported by great strikers like Hogan, Trevino, Knudson, Moe and many others. But if a player has a weak swing… then it’s not as important. The wider stance is not going to make the player swing better if the player is weak. But as the swing improves, then wider would become more desireable and a better intention to work toward.

Speaking of backswings and personal style…how about Miller Barber…Mister X…11 PGA Tour Wins and 24 Senior PGA wins including 5 senior ‘majors’

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/17945031[/vimeo]

Again this is living proof that the backswing is not as important as everyone seems to make it out to be in this day and age

Here’s another swing/backswing that has been ridiculed over the years…Bruce Lietzke has been stated by many as slicing the ball…a banana bender…and a golf ‘hater’ because he never practiced and he would actually even skip the summer golf section of events to be with his kids during the holidays not even competing in the US Open and British Open most years

What’s not to really like about this action?

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/18180422[/vimeo]

Backswing diegeling!

scan0022.jpgscan0023.jpgscan0024.jpgscan0025.jpg

[size=150]Jimmy Bruen[/size]

scan0012.jpg

Wow…never saw that before I don’t think, and I don’t know anything about him really. He must have the mother of all reverse loops to get going from where he is. Any pictures of transition from that point. :slight_smile:

sevam1.blogspot.com/2009/05/late … bruen.html
also some footage there…

Thank you IOZ… :smiley:

Range Rat::

Jimmy Bruen at impact-- Classic position

bruen.jpg

Thanks Two.

One of my favorite times to play is late autumn…just a light weight, thin cotton sweater, dew on the grass, a bright yet still cool sun casting dark shadows upon the fairways, and quietness only broken by the sound of birds chirping. :slight_smile:

Jacky Cupit- Winner of Canadian Open & The Western Open…4 top 10’s in Majors…lost a playoff for the US Open in 1963 to Boros …showing a common theme of motion or loop to help find the correct slot for approach

scan0028.jpg

It’s pretty clear that if you watch some of these out to in loops, there is a real motivation to slot the club by
creating a loop that carries a momentum with it… to pressure the club into the slot so that the forearms rotate
more passively at transition.

There is a great logic to this… but also a great logic doing it the other way around like Raymond Floyd and Knudson did amongst others.