Allen Doyle Interviews

There’s some sound issues with these, but they’re well worth the watch/listen… top notch…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9qSZ6Pjb-0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPDGD0IwmQ[/youtube]

Really good stuff.

Thanks for finding those 2 vids.

robbo

Bom
Thanks . Great interview, and a peak into his mind. Doyle is one of my heroes.

I looked up "slot " in the dictionary…
Doyle slot.jpg

There’s gold in there. Thanks for posting this BOM. Enjoying your other posts as well; lots to consider in them too.

Priceless—thanks BOM

bent

Thank you for the post. After reading this I decided to look up Allen Doyle and see how he did this year on the Senior Tour or whatever they call it at this particular point in time. I never got that far as I came upon an article on putting that mentions Allen Doyle. A very good read for all laggers as it talks about a flat putter lie and a right hand hit. Here it is and I hope you enjoy it. Only one problem, now I have to get my putter(s) bent flat to try it.

Bob

pga.com/golf-instruction/put … -cant-putt

I played with Allen in the US Am at Montclair NJ the year Sam Randolph won. It was amazing to watch the control he had of the golf ball. He just put it where he needed to with a big right to left action from a really open stance. It would have made a good “Myth Busters” episode.

Of course, his golf swing is fantastic, but it’s not one most people understand. When I studied it years later it was easy to see why he struck the ball as well as he did. Allen was obsessed with accuracy, and I wish golf had stayed on those tricky courses he could work his ball around much like Trevino.

My friend Louis Brown would play these money games with him, and tell me how he would shoot 61’s and 63’s on these little tracks around Atlanta like it was nothing.

To me, Allen Doyle is a real player, and this is what the game is missing today… real shot makers and thinkers who PLAY golf, not just blast it anywhere and try to putt the lights out.

Allen of course is a great putter… but his ball striking really shined in my eyes.

Top stuff…

thanks for the post.

Very nice footwork…

This is a great interview alright, and what a record, amazing…
I like this side by side… it’s funny how similar these two swings are in the important places, and how one of them is held up as the most perfect swing ever, while the other one makes the top 10 worst swings in golf…
HD.jpg

Hogan I think is hitting a 5 iron here… Doyle a driver…

but if you where to see Allen with a 5 iron also in his hands, it would look even more like Hogan.

Allen Doyle upholds every fundamental I teach. So does Hogan.

Pretty wild how people would say “yeah that Doyle cat has a whacky swing” . . . . put these pics up and say “really?” . . . . pretty cool how he hits the “checks”.

Do you have the rest of of the comparison done after impact? I think that would be cool to see. His head is a little more “chasey” than Hogan I’d think? But man that is a beautiful golf swing. Love Doyle.

I don’t have it made up but I’ll see what I have and try and do something…

I don’t have much Doyle stuff that would be clear enough to be worth throwing together for comparison. But I think you’re right in that his head was a bit chasier though it was after all was said and done, and I suspect that’s to do with how much he worked off the pressure of both legs more than Hogan. So past parallel on the other side, CF had a bit more of it’s way with the head, whereas Hogan kept thrusting and got pretty hard into his left leg. That would be my take on it, but through the zone I don’t think Doyle was chasey…
What’s funny is that I kept looking at their actual heads trying to figure out what you meant- I thought I was losing my mind… I was scratching my actual head looking at his actual head thinking, “chasey? how is is head ‘chasey’?”… it’s been a few of those days…

Now I could be a complete doofus on this but I gotta believe if you look at Hogan vs. Doyle (Allen not Bently) . . . you’re gonna see some distinct differences from the caddie view in how their hips work . . . . particularly as the club starts gettin outta the ground . . . I was talking to a cat that did some caddying with Doyle . . . said he may hit every fairway but respective to the field his driver was like the other cats hitting a 2 iron . . . so could just be stylistic . . . but I’d say Hogan would likely schmoke him given same ball and sticks for a given era . . . could be wrong. I just see a more dynamic motion from Mr. Hogan . . . but would happily stand corrected.

I think you’re right on there, 12p, they’re very different from the caddy view. In my opinion that hip action difference is due to the use of both legs constantly through acceleration. Hogan was more leg to leg, I reckon. Obviously then the hips will reflect that, or so it seems to me.
Doyle was even a bit shove-y due to that right leg action, he had a hands ahead look to his impact position that suggests a hold of sorts- this may also explain why he didn’t hit it that far. This may also explain his chasey look- if he was holding it square through, then after that would come the flip or chase. It would be interesting to get Lag’s take on that.
Though listening to a few of his interviews it seems that he had a huge focus on getting it in the fairway at all costs, so he swung at 80% or used 3 woods, or whatever it took. He’s definitely an accuracy first sort of guy.

Sounds right.

It is interesting to me that “long” is relative and has changed. Got the chance to see a little of him in a scramble about 12-15 years ago ( early frying pan era) …he seemed plenty long enough that day. One shot I remember, him hitting a second shot driver to reach a long par 5, that our group had been unable to reach, even in the scramble format.

1.jpg

Deep in the slot from the right hip pocket… great torso rotation over a stable left knee while still keeping stability in the right elbow.

Nice recipe for straight golf shots.

Just rewatched. Very much worth it…he says “beating Tiger was easy…I used to beat those college payers…Michelson, Duvall, Leonard like a drum…” (at the amateur tournament each summer held at Sunnehanna, a Tillinghast layout) He beat Tiger Woods by 17 shots when Woods was the reigning US Junior Champ, beat the field by 13. Talks about the importance of hitting fairways and course management, positive thoughts/confidence. In discussing Kenny Perry’s late faltering at the Masters, not hitting the fairway…he points out that the fairway can be a “lonely place.”