A question about Rotation

Cheese/Aldear… I thought it was clear that that was a tongue in cheek comment about that Mahan ‘tip’… it was posted as a joke, hence the ‘confused’ smiley face… sorry if that wasn’t obvious. I can be fairly sarcastic at the best of times, and that doesn’t always transfer onto the screen…

Bom, as a fine purveyor of all things sarcastic, I most definitely picked up what your were putting down. Just noting my thought on it…which was not meant to be contrary to yours…

Cheese, to be honest, I was quite surprised that you ‘didn’t’ pick up on it, so I’m glad to hear you did. Apologies.
I had a sense that you were sarcastic brethren, I should’ve known better…
Ye Olde intra-net can be a confusing realm for the sarcastic…

Actually I was pretty sure of your intentions as well! Anyway, when I saw the article I almost posted something on here just because I found it so “interesting” :confused:

Andy

Gerry Hogan has told me before that the body reacts in great portion to the hands.

Captain Chaos

Interesting, Captain, I can definitely see a case for that. One of the things that really stands out when you start helping a beginner or an unskilled player is their lack of hand strength and coordination. It’s hard to believe sometimes how little force they apply with their hands. It makes a lot of sense that Lag’s module 1(?) seems to be about hand strength and coordination. If you don’t know how to apply the force to the ball, there’s very little sense or purpose to the creation of it. In many ways that application dictates everything else. This has a hands controlled pivot aspect to it, but I prefer to see it as hands educated pivot. There is a strong sense that the body obeys the desires of the hands, but the hands have to be doing the right thing, and the right thing is kind of funky and is peculiar to golf. It’s a skill to learn like any other skill, and learning it goes a hell of a long way to making someone a good golfer. So many good and great golfers got that way just by knowing how to get the club on the ball. I always think of Palmer when thinking about this stuff- he had such strong and coordinated hands that I reckon he was able to just think of giving it a lash and he was pretty sure he’d get the club on it. I have a great photo of him(I may have gotten it from here, actually) at impact that I love, because for as wild an action as he had, somehow he got into this sort of calm and steady spot in the middle of it all.
The hands get a bad rap, but it’s generally because people don’t know how to use them so it’s best to just swipe the club through an area and hope for the best. But if you learn how to use them then a lot of other stuff becomes a lot easier. Maybe hitting is really just about coordinating the action properly and actually ‘hitting’ the ball.
The hands/body, body/hands discussion is a never ending story because there’s such a strong case for both sides…