Where is the Weight

I happened to place my impact bag against the concrete foundation wall in our grage to keep it from moving around, so its very stable. At times I make full swing against the bag to check for impact alignment etc. A couple of weeks ago I just wanted to know where my weight is at imapct (the very stable bag locks in impact). I was surprised to note that although there is more weight on th right foot compared to left neither foot seems to have a lot of weight on it. A significant amount of weight is actually supported by the club head pushing into the bag with a very stressed shaft :astonished: almost like me hanging from the shaft. Lag is this the weightlessness you talk about?

This is a good study here…
The best strikers of course keep more weight right longer…

Those are great stats. However what I am decribing is that if you can stay at impact at full speed by fixing the bag against a hard wall, then as long as you apply enough force into the shaft by the hands and pivot it feels like you are doing a hands stand through the shaft with much less weight supported by the legs than your actual weight. In a normal swing at the ball that interval obiously a fraction of a milisecond, but you get the idea of what goes into the ball.

Sure…

as you learned in Module #2… remember the section of the module about the weighting on the scales…
and how the vertical ground pressures should be experienced… I think you are right on track…

Good

Some really amazing feelings with the drills. Now when I make a good swing, the feeling in foot arches is the same as having jumped from the roof. I think that is the feeling of verticle ground force.

I think Homer said in one of his seminar audios that he always felt that if he had enough strength he could do that!

I guess this question is not a new one.

Weight shift 1914.png

Nothing new…

There were a lot of brilliant minds pondering all things 100 years ago. For some reason, so much information seems to get lost from one generation to the next… I suppose this is the great goal of the information age, and the internet. Books were the way, but often cumbersome for those with limited space, and library access not always being convenient.

My concern moving forward is that we end up relying totally upon digital storage, and not having hard copies of information.

If hardrives burn out, and Libraries burn down… then things end up being the whispering of legend… moving from one generation to another.

Books do weigh more than hardrives.

I would love to have a book with your thoughts about how golf should be done, highlights of the forum, swing sequences, interviews and stuff.

‘The golfswing according to John’ :wink:

I don’t think I have come up with any new ideas… just a few reminders of things that were often more effectively implemented in the past.

Well Lag

Without question, in my mind a book authored by you would not only be beneficial to scores of people, it would also rank up there with the best of the best as seen by serious practicioners.

Name me a book written within the last 20 years that use terms like “vertical ground pressures”, “de-weighting”, 'flat lie geometry", “leveraging off the ground”, “pre-impact hook” and all the rest of the great stuff you have assembled, all within a single book cover. I can’t think of any.

I think you may have a harder sell with using vintage gear…but certainly not with the type of insight and knowledge you possess. Then people can make their own choice.

Anyway…just wanted to post my thoughts on this. :slight_smile: RR

or these…here are a few more I never saw anywhere else…

“good intentions”
“opposing forces”
“accelerating into p5”
“4:30 line”
“vapor trail”
“saving the right arm”
“it’s ok to bend the left arm”
“post impact pivot thrust”

heck…I’ve even thought he could sell the course simply as a workout video…collaborate with Tony Horton… “P90 ABS”…I think Popeye got his forearms doing Module 1… :laughing:

What I see is a nice little addendum to each of the modules containing a description of the module, swing sequences of Lag doing the mod drill, the supplement with questions and answers, intentions, examples and so forth.

Maybe just as an ebook that people can take to a print shop?

The thing I try to keep forefront in my mind is what is best for the student?

Manuals, and books can be beneficial, but without support and individual guidance, I think it is very difficult to stay on course. I am not sure I have even had as student do any module perfectly without having to make some kind of adjustment or refinement. As much as I try to cover everything, there is a tremendous amount of material to learn along the way in mastering even rudimentary motions.

I think a combination of written, video, drills, and supervision would be ideal.

Trying to sail without a compass has been the ruin of many a shipwreck.

Great article, well worth a bump.

2 Likes

It’s funny, I was literally just down in the garage working on my transition loading. I absolutely agree…you have to be patient.

Unfortunately, offset and modern tech allow you to fire from the top, and get away with it…a fatal flaw if you wanna be a good ball striker. Yet I see it taught constantly…fire the hips/X-factor, etc. etc.

I tend to stand up with my backswing and squat again in transition (working on not standing up)…love it when I can feel my right leg take that load, especially with my guns fully loaded. It’s pure nirvana into my impact bag, just like the first page in 5 lessons.