Vintage Persimmon - safety first?

Was wondering what other forum members have experienced playing vintage persimmons, such as 50’s macgregors and some of the older 40s clubs.

I have several old drivers that are very solid but I’m fearful of playing them in case something gives and snap…

Does anyone recommend rebuild first i.e new epoxy - or do you happily fire away with no damage / neck cracks?

Examine the club carefully and look for cracks especially across the head or behind the insert. If the head has no obvious cracks then it should play OK.

Older persimmon heads most often will have a loose shaft and probably a loose insert and sole plate. I have repaired hundreds of old clubs and rarely find a shaft that is still bonded to the head. Be aware that a loose shaft will eventually destroy the head as a neck crack will develop and then lengthen. Water intrusion is also likely especially when inserts and sole plates are loose and the club’s weight can vary quite a bit. Water will also destroy a face that is unprotected - bruising and disintegration of the wood fibers. Many of these old clubs are classics and deserve a second chance at a golfing life. Any ABS work will logically lead to a refinish and the head should be re-epoxied where required. Not really that hard if you are a tad adventurous or Lag can get it done for you. If it is a club you value and play well then it is worth the effort and cost.

Thanks mdrretired,

Reshafting sounds like a priority - even for solid clubs if they might crack with old epoxy. I may risk a round or two but full time gamers would probably be safer re-assembled from what you say.

A couple of old macgregor drivers I own are in really good condition, not far off museum quaility. Its a real shame to coat them in epoxy but I dont want to keep them for decoration.

Using a softer / older ball is probably also an important factor.