Images to Ponder

Ken Venturi said, “Byron Nelson was the purist striker of the ball. Hogan was the best manager of a golf course and Snead was the most esthetic.” Ranking Nelson ahead of the other two is high praise indeed.

Speaking of Snead - I just found this video where he talks of the “Snead Squat”. Video is a bit rough but he describes it as a “power move”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzefeTswKfY

Here’s another one from ‘Winning Golf’
Byron.jpg

Most have seen John’s analysis of Peter Senior. This excerpt contains the best snipet of post impact acceleration I have seen. Note how the left shoulder works lower and left post impact. It is a common instruction cliche to maintain spine angle…and maintain your plane…but we have two sides to our body…and they don’t have to work in unison and shouldn’t in the golf swing. We use them both at different times creating the opposing forces that help us pin the shaft through impact and accelerate post impact.

tubechop.com/watch/2275915

Lots to ponder here…could watch it all day.

Thankfully, he’s wearing a striped shirt like that. For me, my feel is a blend feel of the spine straightening at that point and the left shoulder going down and starting the left side torso crunch. This pins everything and builds coordinated speed emanating from the torso. That pinning started upstream. You can see all his weight dumped into the back of his left leg and left glute. Containing it, driving it down into the ground.

That’s why for me, M3 is so important. The very last shot in this tubechop is the start of his right arm flying left and up at a 45* angle straight off his torso, not folding back into his torso at this point. The steam from his boiler has not been released yet, still a ways to go. Everytime I do M3, the saying, ‘the hammer shapes the hand’ comes to mind. The hammer (M3) shapes the hand (the swing). The hammer shapes the hand. One idea might be to wear a shirt like this with a wide singular horizontal stripe, film yourself and see what’s going on.

I’m 6’1 but find it useful to try and set up like a shorter guy, like Senior or Woosnam. Closer to the ball, chest up a bit more, not in an overly crunched shortstop stance. Things seems more packed to begin with and seems there’s added speed there at P4 and beyond.

I love this pic of Player.
image.jpg

A couple of images to ponder:

ABS is good on the back…

Golfer Back .jpg

And more abstract…I mentioned an intention I have of turning into my left arm…avoiding pulling the handle in front of me…and I have this image of something coming at me from the left moving right as I start the DS and I have to avoid it…this is the best image I could find of that intention. I like how the boat goes left and then up…the up would be the arms finally taking the baton after the pivot is exhausted. The notion of the thing coming at me from the left moving right as I start the DS is helpful because it invokes kind of a flight response…which really ignites the pivot.

Left Arm Golf Image.jpg

RR I thought you might like the later. :slight_smile:

I like that image of the boat coming at you, assuming it’s a dtl image? When you wrote this, I thought of the position a matador would be in dtl after the bull had passed his red cape.

Yeah that is a great image to have Paul. If you watch my rehearsal swing dtl you will see that kind of swoosh left and then up…but only a hint of it with the ball in the way. :laughing:

Matador.jpg

Since I started Mod 3 I have noticed this, too. I used to get sore in my lower back but now with Mod 3 it is feeling much better.

I mentioned in my swing post about post impact having the image of pouring a pale of water up the plane line post impact. This is close:

Pale of Water.jpg

The basic idea is the uncocking of the wrists that most people do at the ball occurs well after the ball after the club passes the left leg…and the club NEVER passes the hands so the left wrist never recocks.

Yes, saw your swings over there in the Thunderdome about the left wrist. What I try to get to after the ball is to have the left palm facing the target to the finish, like you’re telling someone to stop. Really locks down the wrist from going into recock and going up to PV5, the shaft and clubhead get very heavy. What was the change in ball flight and carry doing this?

You know me well nfb. Images to me are like water to salmon, pure coexistence.

So many fail to realize how important images can be not just tomorrow, not down the road, but right now. If someone sloops over at address and their posture looks like they are yearning to become an anteater with their nose stuck in the ground I might just say- ‘stand proud up there’. Now this could mean many different things to many different people, but you might be surprised how many people find a posture immediately more upright instead of slumping forward. Maybe the word “up” within the phrase suggests something to the inner self along with the notion of ‘being proud’ combining for an all or nothing response.

Anyway…good boating…I like it… :slight_smile:

Pivots and lag and bent elbows and more…
Remember: when your local play-by-play announcer says “he really extended his arms at the ball on that one”, just remember to laugh.

hitting-mlb-chipper-swing-to-hip-animated.gif
hitting-mlb-chipper-swing-hip-to-contact-animated.gif
albert-pujols.jpg
derek-jeter.jpg
shawn-green.jpg
magglio-ordonez.jpg
alfonso-soriano.jpg

Anyone else mesmerized by the Hogan GIF Bradley put up? I have not been productive at work because of it. Watch the BS there is a lot there to digest. Diz and I have been all over it.

apronstringz.jpg

Dropping down toward the apron to cut low, left and to the inside of the outside force…the apron strings have been cut through a little path bending. :laughing:

Bending it Left.jpg

The image of a warefall as a release analogy is not new to me, but I am now revisiting it as I explore the feelings I have experienced from my recent swing intentions.

youtu.be/W9JnmkzLEI8

A recent image of intent of hand path from down the line.
Halfmoon.jpg
This image comports with the feeling I am having of shallowing in transition and then beginning my forearm rotation and left shoulder pivot a bit sooner, which brings my arms and hands more underneath me.

If you don’t lead the process and stall, the traveling mass gets left of, and away from, you quickly…and you go hungry.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQRyajxkFA[/youtube]