How to Shoot 65

RR does not need me saying any of this belated stuff. But I owe it to him anyway imho.

Sure, maybe everyone already knows about the shoes and food info RR offered, but his info is good and it was offered with a good spirit in good humor. None of those things threatens or delays anyone’s quest. The ABS audience seems to span the planet, its age groups, and a variety of cultures. Can we assume there is no one who can use the information in their quest to shoot better? For some stupid reason, in pre-round preparations I occasionally fail to plan the “small” things which affects my attitude and performance later when I discover I don’t have them and the heat is 105 and I’m running low on gas. The next time I am feeling less pain or fatigue because RR helped me remember, I will be grateful to him. To me RR is plainly doing what solid leaders always do, looking after their fire team, squad, platoon, or what have you, trying to assure the grunts have done what they need to before setting off into the bush. I may resent it and buck some; but the “small” thing I otherwise might have forgotten could be the reason I get back to base. General Eisenhower included a recipe in his biography. Chesty Puller would tell you to make sure your canteen was clean and topped off. And Master Gunnery Sergeant Guzman who survived the Batann Death March would pin your deaf ears back and stare a hole through you to get your flak jacket on just to go out to the flight line.

Hey Teebox… also adding from one of my favorite flicks: Forest Gump

[u]LT. DAN[/u]

You stick with me, you learn from 
                     the guys who been in country awhile, 
                     you'll be right. There is one item 
                     of G.I. gear that can be the 
                     difference between a live grunt and 
                     a dead grunt.

Lt. Dan stops and looks at the boys.

[u]LT. DAN[/u]

Socks, cushion, sole, O.D. green. 
                     Try and keep your feet dry when we're 
                     out humpin'. I want you boys to 
                     remember to change your socks wherever 
                     we stop. The Mekong will eat a grunt's 
                     feet right off his legs.

I think Lt. Dan could see the forest for the trees. Enjoy the Muffkies… :slight_smile: General R. Rat…no salute needed as their are snipers around :laughing:

This thread may be a good place to post this from Daniel Coyle’s (we were talking about The Talent Code a couple of threads ago) latest blog entry. Thought it might be relevant.

If you distilled all the new science about talent development into two words of advice, they would be “practice better.”

That’s it. Practice. Better.

Forget everything else about your genes, your potential — it’s all just noise. The most basic truth is that if you practice better, you’ll develop your talent — and you won’t develop your talent unless you practice better. Period.

For most of us, that’s precisely where we bump into a common problem: how? Specifically, which practice method to choose? Do we focus on repeating a skill we’ve got, or do we work on new skills? What kinds of drills work best? What’s the best way to spend the limited time we’ve got?

When it comes to figuring out how to practice better, we often feel like we’re standing in the cereal aisle of the grocery store. There are lots of seemingly attractive choices. But how do we pick the ones that have the most nutrition, and avoid the ones that are empty calories?

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and I’d like to use this blog as a test drive for a new gauge for comparing practice methods. I’m calling it the R.E.P.S. Gauge.

(Okay, acronyms are cheesy, I know. But they’ve been around for a long time because they work.)

R stands for Reaching/Repeating.

E stands for Engagment.

P stands for Purposefulness

S stands for Strong, Direct, Immediate Feedback.

The idea behind the gauge is simple: you should practice methods that contain these key elements, and avoid methods that don’t. Below, you’ll find a description of each element along with a sample choice to illustrate how it works.

Element 1: Reaching and Repeating. Does the practice have you operating on the edge of your ability, reaching and repeating? How many reaches are you making each minute? Each hour?
Scenario: a math teacher trying to teach multiplication tables to 30 students.

• Teacher A selects a single student to write the tables on the board.

• Teacher B creates a “game show” format where a math question is posed verbally to the entire class, then calls on a single student to answer.

Result: Teacher B chose the better option because it creates 30 reaches in the same amount of time. In Classroom A, only one student had to truly stretch — everybody else could lean back and observe. In Classroom B, however, every single member of the class has to stretch (picture the wires of their brains, reaching) in case their name is called. Not a small difference.

Element 2: Engagement. Is the practice immersive? Does it command your attention? Does it use emotion to propel you toward a goal?
Scenario: a violin student trying to perfect a short, tough passage in a song.

• Student A plays the passage 20 times.

• Student B tries to play the passage perfectly — with zero mistakes — five times in a row. If they make any mistake, the count goes back to zero and they start over.

Result: Student B made the better choice, because the method is more engaging. Playing a passage 20 times in a row is boring, a chore where you’re simply counting the reps until you’re done. But playing 5 perfectly, where any mistake sends you back to zero, is intensively engaging. It’s a juicy little game.

Element 3: Purposefulness. Does the task directly connect to the skill you want to build?
Scenario: a basketball team keeps losing games because they’re missing late free-throws.

• Team A practices free throws at the end of a practice, with each player shooting 50 free throws.

• Team B practices free throws during a scrimmage, so each player has to shoot them while exhausted, under pressure.

Result: Team B made the better choice, because their practice connects to the skill you want to build: the ability to make free throws under pressure, while exhausted. (No player ever gets to shoot 50 straight in a game.)

The fourth element: Strong, Direct, Immediate Feedback. In other words, the learner always knows how they’re doing — where they’re making mistakes, where they’re doing well — because the practice is telling them in real time. They don’t need anybody to explain that they need to do X or Y, because it’s clear as a bell.
Scenario: a high school student trying to improve her SAT score.

• Student A spends a Saturday taking a mock version of the entire SAT test, receiving results back one week later.

• Student B spends a Saturday taking a mini-version of each section, self-grading and reviewing each test in detail as soon as it’s completed.

Result: Student B made the better choice, because the feedback is direct and immediate. Learning immediately where she went wrong (and where she went right) will tend to stick, while learning about it in a week will have little effect.

The idea of this gauge is simple: practices that contain all four of these core elements (R.E.P.S.) are the ones you want to choose, because those are the ones that will produce the most progress in the shortest amount of time. Audit your practices and get rid of the methods that have fewer R.E.P.S. and replace them with methods that have lots.

The other takeaway here is that small, strategic changes in practice can produce huge benefits in learning. Making a little tweak to the learning space — for instance, teaching multiplication through a little juicy game that keeps 30 people on their toes — can have big effects on learning velocity. Spending time strategizing your practice is one of the most effective investments you can make in developing talent.

But as I said at the start, this idea is still in the experimental phase. What other elements should we consider including? How do you achieve your best practices? What else should we add here?

As a sidenote, this will be my last blog entry for a little while, as I’m going to take the summer to work on a couple of book projects. I will be checking in periodically, of course, and will start up again in earnest when the school year starts in August. Thanks for reading, for all your insightful and helpful comments, and for making this project so fun and worthwhile.

wabi_sabi,

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen he had a blog before. That is an excellent book, and the blog post is great too.

wabi_sabi,

Nice link. Here’s a video from that blog site. I could not help but think about ABS, the learning process, and some of the debates we have about what are the ingredients to top level golf…or anything.

thetalentcode.com/nightline/

I tried something today. Pretty obvious, but inspired by the Coyle blog. My daily homework/short-game practice is putting to a coin (until I get 10x in a row), and chipping at a small bucket (same, till I get 10x in a row). I changed my coin and bucket to noisier materials (louder, and ‘better’ sounding) . . . the more obvious feedback and better sound made me want to focus on hitting it more . . . I actually wanted to make the sound as much as hitting the target, if this makes sense. It was almost like some sort of reward to hear the sound. It increased the physical feedback of the drill. Just an observation.

Very interesting. I’ll give that a try. The whole concept of immediate feedback really validates practicing with persimmon and vintage blades. My playing set is made up of modern Mizuno blades, but I like to take some old Haig Ultras or Wilson Staffs out there occaisonally because they are a much better test.

Underdog. Having that blue collar attitude in white collar world. David vs Goliath. We’ve all seen it. Why does it help?

Here’s a good article from Coyle’s blog ( wabi__sabi posted), where this mindset is addressed.
thetalentcode.com/2011/05/02/the … f-success/

Examples of “mental” Davids…Hogan growing up and post accident, Gary Player, Tiger growing up( he probably went from a mental David, to Goliath, but now back to David…so watch out!)

Of course this line of thinking is only part of the picture. And it doesn’t fit all cases. But it is interesting.

Coyle ends with:

LCD - If you had 2 hrs and the whole course to yourself with nobody infront of or behind you and your goal was to get better, how would you spend it? Hit 5 balls into every green and don’t putt? Play a scramble with yourself? Extra chipping and putting?

Thanks!

Find the exact right club & shot to every target then hit exact opposite on every shot, either that or cross country golf like #1 tee to #4 green etc with a different club & shot every stroke. What a weekend this has been, Oy vey…

Ok, tournament prep: I think a lot of you are wanting to know about routine and preparation the day of and I got a feeling you’re going to be really disappointed. I don’t care about preparing at all the day of… for real. If I have to prepare or get the speed of the greens or hit balls at all before a tournament round I have no business competing in the first place. Why bother with a warm up routine, every course is different in the facilities, I could hit traffic, it’s just more crap to worry about getting screwed up. Story time, the summer after my first year away to college I played the San Francisco City at Harding Park (long before the renovation, it was always SO beat up), it was always a good event with lots of big time history. I was back home up in Sonora but was planning on staying with my uncle in Nob Hill which isn’t that far from the course. The first weekend was the qualifying for match play, 36 hole stroke play. No big deal 75 75 makes it easy. I shot 74 the first day & went back to my uncle’s where he had “a small dinner party” planned. That turned into like 50-60 people and went on all night. My time the next morning was 7:10, first group off & at 2:30a I took off with my cousin and crashed at his house in Alemeda as there was no chance of sleep where I was. When the alarm finally woke me up it was 6:42… in Alemeda. I was in the car at 6:46 and in the parking lot at Harding at 7:05. Anyone familiar with the Bay Area knows that is only humanly possible at 7:00 on a Sunday morning and requires a blatant disregard for law or safety on the Bay Bridge & 101. I was on the tee tying my shoes getting ‘the look’ from the starter & my fellow competitors at 7:09:30, what… I’m here. First hole was an easy one, 3 wood 8 iron to 20 ft behind the hole & the only thing I could find in my bag to mark with was a little repair tool, all the coins & a bunch of other stuff dumped out in the trunk. I mark & one of my FCs (double analyzer of course) comes over to me as I’m cleaning my

ball & informs me that my repair tool is illegal as it isn’t a ‘coin like object’ and that as my scorekeeper it was a 2 shot penalty & that I had to replace the ball & mark it properly. I swear I thought he was kidding me,giving me a hard time for being late. Not really, after a polite discussion he walked back to the starter to get a rules official & we had to let 2 groups play through. Yes this really happened. The two of them now come back in a cart, the official assesses the situation and informs us that I had marked my ball legally and was entitled to mark with anything within reason that didn’t interfere with play or that was likely to move. By this time the third player, a young Japanese exchange student & I had exchanged life stories & he gave me some kind of coin to use the rest of the round. I made the putt out of pure spite. This wasn’t even the end of it, my new BFF told me he wasn’t marking the score as a 3 or a 5 until he verified the ruling with the head rules official after Thea round and against the latest Decisions Book for that year, I think it was 1993. And he’s telling me all this like he’s doing me a favor or something. The next hole I intentionally hit my tee shot in the next fairway over just so I didn’t have to walk near him & risk a fistfight. On the ninth his approach ended up leaning against the cart path to the right of the green, to this day it’s the only time I’ve ever seen someone use a tape measure to figure out which side of a cart path to drop on. Who in God’s name even carries a tape measure in their golf bag. He even asked me to hold the end of it, I asked how he took a drop when he was playing himself & he said it wasn’t easy…

That was one of the most bizarre, best rounds of golf I ever played in my life, 7 birdies 1 bogey 66, never made a putt over 12 ft, I think it was the 3rd time I had broken 70 in a real event & the other 2 were both 69s. I qualified 2nd & got my butt kicked 4&2 in the third round by some guy old enough to be my grandfather who hit a 30 yard slinging hook with every club in the bag.

The moral of this particular bit of insanity is that it doesn’t matter at all how you warm up, the beginning of the round is by far the least important, even if you go 5 5 5 you have 15 holes to play. Of course it’s better to start 3 3 3, so the less you worry about it trying to pretend to look like everyone else with their little hour long routines just to clank it in the bushes off the first tee the better off you are. After all the point isn’t to be like everyone else, the point is to beat them, badly. You prepare at home and in the days before, if you need to loosen the muscles stretch out & hit a dozen nine irons or something, maybe take a jog or something before getting to the course to get the blood flowing if you want but it doesn’t matter very much. Everybody has nerves & adrenaline on the first

So focus on using that energy, focus it on the task, see how well you’re going to play & how much there isn’t anywhere else you’d rather be or anything you’d rather do. Then it’s game on. Business as usual & business is good…

Oh yeah, the tournament director said after the round I could spit behind the ball if I wanted to to mark it as long as I could recognize it & replace the ball to the same spot or make an indentation in the green with my putter. He didn’t have a copy of the Decisions Book and had no inclination to find one. He also ripped my ‘buddy’ up one side & down the other for wasting his time & more importantly for stopping play & walking off the hole on the first for no reason, saying that he wanted to disqualify him but couldn’t after the fact. All’s well that ends well I guess, I never saw that guy again, he was an insurance agent I think & very, very weird.

Good info, and good story. Thanks for sharing, I’ve been waiting for this section.

Good story.

Glad to hear the ‘illegal tee’ was sorted out. Although the rules have never insisted on ‘coin-like objects’, it was about the time you’re talking about that the Rule book gave tournaments/tours the ability to insist that small coin-like object be used. But that only lasted about 5 years before it was removed again.

Here’s something I photoshopped up as a joke once:

markit.jpg

My prior art, no stealing the invention. :confused: You know there’d be a great ‘markit’ for it (right?)

Even mocked one up once and took it out with me because I was playing with a guy notorious for not noticing putting lines.
It got the message across to him alright.

I had a similar experience in college as the one LCD described, and I have wondered if there is a clue to something deeper in regards to performance.

Long story short…I shot 75( my equivalent to a 65) in a fraternity competition to help my team win. After months(8) of basically no golf, I had a college sophomore major hangover, jelly brain, no nutrition, and dehydration. Spoke about two words the whole round, on the last hole, didn’t have the energy for more. I made one long putt all day.

Ever since I wondered…did all this force me to a basic inner core, no thinking, automatic game, like the one Carey Mumford advises. Or was it just a fluke.

I’d like to go back to the ‘what type of player are you?’ factor (Dr. Mumford’s Double Connection).

How does it work once you have figured out what type of player you are, how do you apply that knowledge within your game? I’ve taken an earlier example you posted before Alec, to try to find that out. Here’s the example:

Your example - I think - clearly shows that you are a type A player. I think I am mostly a type C player (Craftsmen). What would that mean in practise? I’d probably stand on the same tee and try to hit a good shot just like the two other players in your group. Would knowing that that choice comes from me being a type C player, help me in being able to think of different possibilities and therefore maybe even hit it the same way you did? Or does knowing what type of player i am help me in knowing wat not to do? For instance, being type C, i see you hitting the shot described above and i decide not to hit same shot because that type of shot does not fit my personality and would therefore prevent me from executing it the way it should be executed?

[Group C. The Craftsmen: Craftsmen are the graceful, the understated with beautiful natural rhythm. They have beautiful flowing handwriting and they love to tinker. They like peace & quiet and the natural order of things. The Craftsmen value honesty, integrity, quality and reliability. They don’t like to be the center of attention. Their word is their bond and they rarely get upset. They also have the most gorgeous golf swings and wisdom beyond their years.]

Might be nice to fill us all in on the basics of A B and C type players…
are there D and E players also? How about Z?

The A B C & D are the personality types described by Dr Mumford as Drivers, Persuaders, Craftsmen & Analyzers. These are the basis of The Double Connexion and he defines players by their two highest commonalities and labels them as the Major/Minor. The descriptions are on pgs 15 & 16 of this thread as an initial overview. I’ve found it tremendously insightful on & off the golf course over the years and more valuable than the ClearKey work he is better known for.

Giving advice to a Craftsman I find myself reticent to do as i don’t think i could possibly do it accurately as it is the Craftman sits diametrically opposed to my own set. Grace & rhythm are alien concepts to me that I envy quite highly. I know what I ain’t got when I see it, my classic example of a Craftsman is Ben Crenshaw; I guess my best advice is to think of how he would go about the process. No way am I gonna BS here, I don’t pretend to have all that many if any answers, I know the 4X4 drills work for damn near any shot that ever gets airborne but what I’m more interested in is as I always have been is opening every door possible in order to get a different & ultimately better perspective. I’m still learning about what a Driver is & who I am as a Driver & I’ve been grinding on it for the better part of 18 years. Personally I think it’s more about approach than technique.

When I was young I spent a lot of weekends at my grandparents’ & we’d almost always watch the golf tournament on TV. Inevitably my grandmother & I would have the same argument over & over on Fuzzy v. Walrus. She loved Fuzzy, thought he was engaging and fun & despised Stadler, thought he was a punk with a bad attitude who threw tantrums. I thought Zoeller was a clown & Stadler was a great competitor who only cared about winning & would have bled to do it. My grandmother was a Persuader, I a Driver. We were both right & we were both wrong. It all depends upon what you bring to the table and your own perspective. IMOHO once you can establish what direction your own perspective enters the arena from you have a better ability to at least recognize the similarities and differences in others and in a small way separate your own tendencies and gain a better and truer objectivity. In putting a great deal of my own personality in what I write here I’d hope to provide a bit of context to the interpretation of what this is at the core without getting overly theoretical or caught in inaccurate generalizations. I would hope.