Golf and Guitars

I used to play guitar when I was younger, and have a great appreciation for all kinds of music. I was thinking about golf and using the right kind of equipment that we here subscribe to, and the negative results from more modern, upright gear. Same could be said for this song, which I’m linking to below. This song was played on a Rickenbacker guitar and if it had been played on something else–Fender, Gibson–it most definitely would not be the iconic song that it is.

This is Roger McGuinn in all his glory. Listen to this on headphones, turn it way up and marvel at his work. Truly, a master.

youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UnvSl … r_embedded

It’s late. Sipping a whiskey and watching the first snowfall of the winter. Here’s Brian Bromberg on acoustic bass. If this had been played on electric bass–well, never mind. Such a rich, beautiful sound, just like hitting blades. Brian played with jazz legend Stan Getz and was a sideman for Dizzy Gillespie and Lee Ritenour.

youtube.com/watch?v=UFjuL39J … r_embedded

Great topic,

In the context of persimmon/blades vs. ‘game improvement stuff’ (or heavy and x-stiff shafts vs. lightweight reg flex stuff) I always think of Stevie Ray Vaughan vs. Steve Vai.

SRV uses very heavy gauge strings: 0.013, 0.015, 0.019 (unwound), 0.028, 0.038, 0.058. If his fingers weren’t holding up he’d compromise with a 0.012 to 0.058 set although at one point Stevie even strung his guitar with 0.018 to 0.074 (it was insane,' he recalled, but I played a lot more simply’). He does tune down one semitone.

Steve Vai uses 0.009 and up and 'when he gets his finger strength back up he might switch to 0.010…

For those who have experimented with different string gauges you know how much of a difference this makes.

The heavier gauge strings are in part responsible for SRV’s huge tone while the thinner strings that Steve Vai uses allow him to play REALLY fast.
The gauge difference per player suggests that SRV gets a much better workout while playing and hardly has to do any exercises in between gigs, while steve vai is known to follow a very strict regimen of finger exercises. ( Hitter vs. Swinger… :question: :exclamation: )

For whatever reason after you posted the 8 Miles High clip it just hit a huge chord with me and I haven’t been able to stop listening to it. I’ve heard it countless times, but it’s is if it’s a brand new song again… it’s just ridiculously good.
Thanks for the link and great idea for a thread too…
Cheers,
BOM

Hands off, I was in love with her first!
I like the idea of an ABS music thread… a little bit of purity in the midst of the madness…
Thanks for getting it going Paul C… this may not have been your original intent, but…
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZlPz8wI3E[/youtube]

Your welcome, all. I love music and the emotions, story telling and memories it evokes in me.

This song was played on a Rickenbacker guitar and if it had been played on something else–Fender, Gibson–it most definitely would not be the iconic song that it is.

I’m fairly sure it was also a 12 string. Beautiful tone.

In the context of persimmon/blades vs. ‘game improvement stuff’ (or heavy and x-stiff shafts vs. lightweight reg flex stuff) I always think of Stevie Ray Vaughan vs. Steve Vai.

Also remember S/R played that old beat-up Stratocaster. S/V playing the new plastic things.

Musically Hoganesque in my view… Wilco.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xxBqXWGLE[/youtube]

Well if this don’t beat all get out! Talkin’ golf and chewin’ on tunes all in one forum…doesn’t get any better as far as I am concerned.

Sounded good…nice dynamics. The tub man was a little too much eye candy for my liking but to each their own. Funny how we “hear” with our “eyes”. Nice post. :slight_smile:

I like the ‘controlled chaos’. I guess you could see Hogan that way… Nice.

I had great fun working on those Persimmons listening to my old CDs that had not been played for years. Cake, Pixies, Flaming Lips, dEUS, Presidents of the USA, Beach Boys, Weezer, Envelopes, Ben Folds, Pavement, Wesley Willis… Think I might kick some more off just for the tunes.

I like it, IOZ… I reckon Hogan rode a pretty taut line, and then unleashed. I’ve seen these guys live quite a few times, and they definitely know how to do the same. They’re the real deal.

One of the best, for me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvAlcuCWxEY[/youtube]

ABS themes in Brian Wilson’s choral harmonic arrangements–sets up tension with the melodic buildup then resolves the tension harmoniously in concert at the finish. Wilson was a true musical genius, he wrote all those harmonies without the benefit of sterophonic hearing–his dad cuffed him upside his head leaving him deaf in one ear. I was lucky to find these two songs juxtaposed, I love them both dearly.

Some great writing as well: “my children were raised/you know the suddenly rise/they started so long ago, head to toe, healthy, wealthy and wise”

Here’s a really good song with a great sax solo. If you ever get the chance to see Steely Dan, do so. Whole websites have arisen trying to decipher their song lyrics. One of my favorite artists.

Love this line from this song: ‘Look at my eyes, can’t you see the core is frozen?’ Who writes like this? You don’t. But, I do. :sunglasses:

youtube.com/watch?v=cfjX14L7FYo

One more from these two very talented guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=zPuhBC48J-k

Considering golf is relentlessly difficult and I am not getting any younger here is my plea to the ball, to my hips, and to the golf gods… if only for a few blissful hours :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=DayCrQWJXuI

YEAH! I’ll have what he’s having! :smiley:

Dani–you got me goin’ a bit. Here’s one from one of my favorites–Ry Cooder. Incredible guitarist, musicologist and cultural observer. His work on ‘Buena Vista Social Club’ down in Havana was epic and resurrected the careers of key musicians from that country.

This is a remake of an old blues song from the Delta:

youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCw … re=related

1 Like

‘Chan Chan’ from Ry Cooder’s album, ‘Buena Vista Social Club.’ Ry on guitar in background, where he belongs, presenting this wonderful music.

youtube.com/watch?v=tnFfKbxI … re=related

1 Like

Ok, one more from Ry Cooder and then I’m done. Adios amigos y amigas…

youtube.com/watch?v=IRhz2QlquHA