Ask Bradley Hughes!

Two-

I notice no Appleby on the list. Is that because you haven’t played much with him or because he just didn’t make the list? I always liked Allenby’s action more than Applby’s but they tend to get lumped together. (sp?)

Appleby just never was on a par with these guys as a ball striker…had a terrific short game and hit it good a few weeks here or there when he featured or won… same goes for Ogilvy and Adam Scott…great players but that’s why they didn’t make my list…there ball striking is spotty and just doesn’t make me sit back with my eyes all agog and my mouth wide open compared to these other guys I have mentioned.

I have a feeling it was the grand idea of ‘holding shaft flex into and through’ the strike…
Steb…Glad you can back me up on Ogle…he most certainly had that sound…his long game was pretty damn good most weeks he played.

I was paired with David Graham the final round of the West End SA Open in Adelaide in 87. It was my rookie year, and I asked him if he had any advice for a young pro like myself as we were walking down the 9th fairway. He said

Bradley,

I have been working on the chipping method you teach. Like some of my full shots, I am making contact on the toe.

Is this the result fof being too handsy at impact?

Related, Ihave noticed in some module work and full swing videos that the palm of my right hand is coming off on the downswing. Might this cause the toe issue in chipping?

Would switchimg from my ten finger to an overlap help stop it?

Thanks!

Most toe strikes come when the club cuts across the ball coming into impact…so the toe is swiping across impact area and catching the ball

Get used to really feeling some nice shoulder and hip movement on the chips…there is no drama with doing that so long as you don’t move to laterally in either direction and lose your balance and position.
The feeling of the shoulders and chest rotating takes the focus away from the hands. You should get a more solid strike by (like you said) not flipping the hands…
Watch the awesome chipping action of Crenshaw or Player…still striking the ball on the down with a motion…weight forward (sternum ahead of ball)…not just waving at the ball or trying to lift it

The grip sounds like you are regripping the club…it’s OK to have a firmish grip…we naturally increase grip pressure throughout the swing, so there is nothing wrong with having a decent hold on it all the way through the swing from start to finish.
A firmer grip helps avoid club twisting for mishits and will also help you have better control of the club thru out the swing…better off having a firm hold than twisting your hands like you say you can see happening…If you are ready to alter your grip to suit or help the process then go for it…whatever helps keep the club under the utmost control

Two,

I played a round with Ogle a few years back. My first and only time i played with him. He had already lost his nerve chipping, he carried a left handed SW.

Anyhow, i was stripping it off the tee that day, and was kinda keeping up with Ogle. Mind u,I was drilling hard draws and he was hitting butter fades. We came to this par 5, i strapped a good one. Ogle gets up, pounds a draw, 50 by me. WOW. He was a pure sticker. The closest to Norman in sound and flight IMO.

Steve

Yeah Ogle was a very good striker of the ball…I remember him chipping left handed…he has done well for himself off the course and is quite a good commentator at most times…I would like to hear what he would say about the swing but I wouldn’t get a chipping lesson from him!!!

Hi Bradley,

I just recently signed up for ABS and Module #1. You may remember me from sending my golf swing to you a month ago for review. Thanks for your help as I am working. As I stated, I was going to sign up for ABS and finally had the chance. John wanted me to introduce myself to you, but that was already covered. Thanks for your help. John and yourself are an excellent team!

John Neet
PGA Golf Professional :smiley:

Good Luck John…Glad you made it here for the full on treatment… You’ll do great

Hey Bradley et al,

I am a new student of ABS and happy to be here.

My game has kinda gone south the last couple of years ballstriking wise…too many
swingthoughts/theories bouncing around my head, and too much focus on backswing. I grew up with a flat golf swing and idolizing
Trevino, Hogan, Demeret, Nelson. Over the years teachers have tried to make me upright and it has slowly degraded me to the dreaded
double miss.

A little background, I’m located in Houston, TX and play most of my golf at the old muni’s. I’m looking forward to playing them with old gear again.
When some people travel they like to go play the nicest club in town, I like to play the oldest muni. Maybe I’ll start a muni thread…

Really love reading this forum, the stories of the old guys, lightbulb moments, successful progress etc. I think this will replace the golf
channel (haha).

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk,

Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place. Get ready to work…hard. But be assured you will be working on the right things and you have the best in the business, Lag and Bradley, to guide you.

I am up in Dallas. Always good to see another Texan come on board.

Double miss?! Holy crap…that means you may be hitting 3 on your next swing on the tee! I’d kneecap the b@stard that taught me that upright garbage. :wink:

You’ve come to the right place, Kirk…welcome. And yes, this forum will replace the golf channel, any golf magazine out there, and any golf infomercial fix you might think you need.

Cheers,
Captain Chaos

thanks guys,

it will be nice to work on something that makes sense for a change.

yeah to me the double miss is just as bad as 2 whiffs. for years a cut shot to me was a 5 yard draw. i took comfort
in knowing that if i snapped one left into the trees, all i had to do was snap another one on the green…but when
i started mixing in a 40 yard right shot, the game quickly became unfun…

kirkschwart

Hi All,

Another newby here (also from Texas). I just started Module 1 about a week ago and can already see/feel a difference (positive) in my swing. A little bit about my background:

I’m 46 and have never taken a lesson. I spend a lot of time hitting balls into a net and I’ve been able to play some decent golf at times, but very inconsistent. About 6 months ago I read Knudson’s book and a light flickered on, and I have been playing my best golf recently (several rounds in the 70’s). But I still knew something was missing. I still relied on timing and I could shoot a 90 just as easy as 76. It just depended on how I felt that day and/or how much Alleve I took before the round. A few weeks ago I sent video of my swing to Bradley and he pretty much nailed my swing flaws, which ultimately led me here.

I am convinced in what Lag and Bradley are teaching. My only fear is that I’m too old of a dog to be taught new tricks. I guess i am going to find out! I know one thing; if I fail it wont be due to lack of effort.

Something that made me laugh was my wife told me yesterday (after I had been beating on the impact bag in the garage) that my son asked her: “what is Dad building in the garage?” I told her to tell him “a golf swing.” My wife just rolled her eyes and told me not to forget to take out the garbage. Does no one understand our quest?

jwb

Your wife was right…
you will be taking out the garbage (from your golf swing!) :sunglasses:

welcome aboard jwb. I doubt you will be too old for the gig, i’m a couple years your senior & plenty others here older again i think. My best first tip would be to invest in some ABS spec gear as soon as you are able to.
Good luck & enjoy the ride

Thanks Tim. I will definitely be looking into some ABS spec gear.

Up until about 7 or 8 yrs ago I used my dad’s old persimmon driver (Spalding I think). Then one day while at the range the head came flying off and it landed a good 175 yds down range. Sad day for sure. Funny thing is before that happened I used it for at least 2 yrs or so with a hairline fracture just below the hosel. It caused the club head to be offset a little, but it didnt seem to affect the performance one bit. Amazing club.

Spalding made some fantastic persimmons. Very overlooked along with First Flight, who Penna did designs for after he left MacGregor and before going solo. The Old H and B Blocks are wonderful also.

Hello Bradley (and everybody)

Just joined yesterday and reading through I am a bit in awe at the amount of Pro’s and high level players here. I am not a very good golfer (Lord knows I try!) But I will soak up all I can from all of you! Nursing a pulled back (this past week playing golf on vacation in Jamaica) but should be ready to start later in week. The information on this site is incredible…very excited to be here!!!
Wishing all of you a very Happy Holidays!!