Ask Bradley Hughes!

One word…gullible! Anyone who calls themselves a serious golfer would know that Cartier has never produced a bejeweled/gilded golf club…that honor is reserved for Tiffany and Co. Kangaroo leather grips?!?..commoner stuff. Clearly only Komodo dragon leather would do! :wink:

Captain Chaos

Captain I had you down as a potential buyer! :wink:

Apologies to Bradley we’re cluttering up your thread :blush:

I agree… but then again sometimes there’s nothing like a good ole threadjack to start the week. :smiley:

Carry on,

robbo

Hi Bradley & everyone

introducing myself here having just got the first module… Tim; 48yo; living in the UK; playing a 5.0 hcp; been playing 7 years; just got into TGM in the past few months & discovered ABS a couple of weeks ago
i’ve got an equipment Q right off the bat. I recently bought a 2nd hand set of titleist AP2 is bending them the max 2 deg flat going to be enough ? the current lie angles are
p 64; 9i 64; 8i 63.5; 7i 63; 6i 62.5; 5i 62 ; 4i 61

what lie angles do others on here play ?

i have been measured in the past to need 1/2 inch long of titleist standard but these AP2 are titleist standard so i guess that would work in my favour a bit making the 5i my usual 6i length
i’ve got a titleist 695 mb 3i which is 60 deg for learning the modules, i would get that bent as well if it was advisable ?
Thanks & nice to meet you all ! :slight_smile:

Hey Tim…welcome

I think you will find that most people’s wedges here would be around the 60 degree lie angle with their 4 irons lie angle getting down into the mid/lower 50’s…so the specs you gave are a way off what many here have as their set up- however no drama yet
You may not be able to bend the AP’s that far but you could drop them down a little and use them as playing clubs - they probably only have a 2-3 degree bend resistance or thereabouts if you feel it necessary to do that, but there are other ways to bend them such as heat and other methods that many of the students and Lag post in the equipment or student areas about flattening clubs and such
THEN
I would ALSO find an older set on e-bay or ‘grandpa’s garage’ and just play around with them-- they should automatically be heavier and can be bent easily down to flat angles to help you with your swing (something we all try to do here…some can use the older,flat, heavy clubs ALL the time…others will use a newer updated set as their ‘gamers’ but practice hard with the older equipment for the feedback and training they help provide)

Hi Tim,

Welcome! I think most students will migrate to somewhere between 4 and 6 degrees flat and there is good reason to think that it a good idea to do it earlier rather than later in you ABS journey at the very least for training purposes.

You may well have found these threads yourself but just in case:

On the whole debate of benefits of flat vs upright: http://www.lagpressure.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=211&t=72&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=cebcd8b0f5172c0e38a0e95a9aae542b
On the topic of how flat to go: [url]Going Flat!...But how far?]
Student Intro thread if you want to introduce yourself to the world: [url]https://forum.advancedballstriking.com/t/students-introduce-yourselves/393/1]

There are plenty of UK students on here and some of them are even alright :wink: I’m based down on the south coast myself and have far too many sets of blades so if you want a set to buy / borrow a set that has already been flattened I have a few would work nicely. Get yourself a nice persimmon (again plenty here if needed) and your good to go!

All the best,

Arnie

thanks for the replies, the very kind gear offer Arnie, the welcome & the links to useful threads

i’ll go as suggested with flattening those AP2’s out as flat as they will go & use them as my gamers for the time being & go read up & get working on mod 1

cheers

Tim

hi Guys, i wonder would one or two of you who are playing good golf & have been on the ABS modules care to post the specs of your playing clubs for me to ponder; i read 6 deg flat but am wondering 6 deg flat of what (titleist standard ?) thanks, Tim

These are Lags specs though he plays his clubs a little heavier in terms of swingweight and deadweight now. All but the SW are 6 flat so you won’t go far wrong using these specs as a guide. As you can see there is quite a difference with your Titleist specs. :wink:

Cheers, Arnie
lag specs.jpg

great thanks Arnie, that’s a good reference point

so i have bought a 3-pw set of mizuno mp33 with s400 shafts 1/2’’ long of mizuno std & i’m thinking i’ll get them set 1 upright of Lag’s specs, but i’m looking for suggestions on where i might go with swing weight & head weight ?

i wonder are they relatively heavy heads anyway does anyone know, & maybe go for a D4 swingweight ? - i’m not really up to speed with club fitting as you may have guessed :slight_smile:

thanks for any pointers

Hi Tim,

I think lag recommends not going longer than standard for most everybody. There are examples of very tall golfers that play very flat and standard length clubs. The idea is to bend a bit more at the knees at address. But it might be a good idea to ask lag himself…

Another thing to take into consideration is that if you get longer than ‘standard’ shafts, the effective lie angle can change because you need to keep your hands higher. So if you go 1 degree upright compared to lag’s specs with longer clubs it might not really be just 1 degree upright but maybe 3.

So my advice would be to go to standard length. :slight_smile:

For swingweight I’d be aiming somewhere between D3 and D8. You can measure SW yourself by measuring balance point and total weight with a digital kitchen scale. leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT

I hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers, IoZ

thanks IoZ appreciate the input & the link

take your point about length affecting the lie, hadn’t thought of that

i’m hoping these will be about the right length as mizuno are .25’’ short anyway (of titleist std) & i’ve been measured up a couple of times as needing a 38.75’’ 5i so these at 38.25 5i (which is only .25’’ longer than Lags) will allow for some additional knee flex & i can always trim them if needs be i guess

hopefully the flat lies & maybe d4 (?) swingweight will be a step in the right direction anyway - i don’t suppose i’m exactly at the fine-tuning stage :slight_smile:

No problem Tim,
I think you’ll do just fine with that setup, especially for the time being. The TT S400 shafts are great; nice and heavy.

It’s by no means necessary but you may also want to consider buying a cheap old 1 or 2 iron (if you can find one for a couple of bucks) that you can use as a dedicated ‘training’ club.

• You can bend it even flatter than your playing set (maybe even 10 degrees flat). The flatter the lie, the more you’ll be inclined to use the proper muscles IMHO. This can only speed up the learning process.
  • If you scratch or damage the club during the drilling it doesn’t matter as much when it’s a cheap old club.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Good luck with the modules.

P.S. Not sure if it is still in use but I found the following tool quite helpful to keep track of the number of module reps I had done each day/week.
It’s the ‘Module Butt Kicker’ , basically an online spreadsheet in which everybody can enter their # of reps per module.
Here’s the link to the original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=682&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=butt+kicker

I found this stash of balls in my garage and thought some ABS guys may like to get their hands on them…wanted to post them here first for ABS students eyes only to begin with and give you guys first option before hitting the public forum area with them if there are any left over

I have a huge box of Tour Prestige 100 compression balata balls…I am guessing there are over 100 in the balls maybe closer to 125.

If anyone is interested I would break them up into groups of 25 balls and with postage to the lower 48 states do them at $55 for the 25 balls including shipping. I could send them elsewhere around the world but would have to check out shipping costs etc based on where they had to be sent to before I could come up with a price. Once confirmed I will send you the paypal address via PM for payment

I have posted a pic…they do say ‘practice’ on them…but we know that is only a writing alignment defect or a dimple or paint slightly being off so they never got put in a sleeve for retail sale as a result…the practice is easily crossed out with a sharpie if you don’t like to see that when you are out playing.

I wanted to break them up into groups of 25 and do it that way so I can spread them out to different people instead of just one person taking a whole bunch. Let me know by PM if anyone is interested.
they are brand new and have still got their perfect white colour.

CIMG4388.JPG

ONE batch of 25 sold- 3 remaining

hi all

mp 33s showed up today

they waggle great at least :slight_smile:

i’m clear on where i’m going with them on lie & swing weight, should i get the offset bent out of them too ?

thanks

Nice job Tim. Unless you know for a fact that you have a very skilled club maker who is familiar with the technique I would leave the offset alone for a while. The offset in the MP-33s isn’t that bad from memory, more info here:

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/retclubs?OpenForm

Good luck and enjoy!

Cheers, Arnie

Yeah, I would think unless someone had already fooled with them bending them around that there shouldn’t be any offset in the MP33 model to be concerned with…

Arnie may know this better but didn’t Lag talk about double bending to remove the unwanted offset?..there is probably a link somewhere about it

For reference here is how I did it (per lag’s instructions):

1. First you need to bend the loft of the club about 5 degrees weaker. This bend operation must be performed by placing the bending bar at the top of the hosel (where the shafts meets the hosel).

2. Then after that you need to perform a ‘regular’ bend operation, just above the clubhead. Bend the loft back to its original strength.

3. Rinse and repeat :slight_smile:

Here is a hogan 3iron before and after:
HoganPC5_3i_BeforeAndAfter.jpg

And a movie detailing the procedure:
[youtube]Doble bending the hosel. - YouTube